As New Zealand’s newest university, AUT is also New Zealand’s fastest growing university. Known for being innovative and industry focused, AUT offers small interactive classes, where everyone knows your name. Located in downtown Auckland, bordered by the University of Auckland on one side and the city’s main street on the other, you are steps away from exploring New Zealand’s largest and most ethnically diverse city. With your student accommodation only a few minutes walk from campus, you can easily take advantage of all this great city has to offer. From the thriving nightlife on K Road, to incredible islands for hiking and swimming only a ferry ride away, and New Zealand’s west coast beaches accessible within 45 minutes by car. The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) participants are offered a unique opportunity to get their first glimpse of Polynesian culture via an included pre-semester excursion to Fiji. Combined with an extensive orientation program in Auckland and in-country support, participants are fully prepared to get the most from their semester abroad.
Study abroad at AUT University, located in downtown Auckland
Take advantage of our pre-semester trip to the beautiful islands of Fiji
Live in university apartments just a three minute walk to campus
Take advantage of our mid-semester trip options to New Zealand’s adventure-packed South Island or the culture and beaches of Thailand
Live in Auckland, and enjoy the benefits of New Zealand’s largest city
Feel the adrenaline rush during our Orientation Program where you are exposed not only to local culture but to New Zealand’s love of extreme sports
- While AUT University is New Zealand’s newest university, established in 2000, the institution has a history of providing industry-relevant education for over 110 years.
- Today the university has about 24,000 students across two campus, including 4,000 international students.
- The main university campus is located in the city center of Auckland, next to the University of Auckland on one side, and the main street of Auckland, Queens Street, on the other.
- As a contemporary university, AUT focuses on providing a student-centered and innovative approach to learning.
- While the Business School, which is AACSB accredited, has the largest enrollments, AUT is also highly regarded for the Communications and Art and Design fields.
- As a study abroad student at AUT, you can enroll in four courses, or two courses and an internship
Academic Departments and Schools at AUT University are divided into 12 academic divisions: Art and Design; Business; Communication Studies; Computer and Mathematical Sciences; Education; Engineering; Health; Hospitality and Tourism; Language and Culture; Maori Development; Sciences; Sports and Recreation; and Social Sciences.
Particular academic strengths are in the Business; Arts and Design; and Communication Studies areas.
Popular courses for study abroad students include:
- Photography (offered both semesters)
- Maori Studies classes: Te Ara Pou Leadership and International Noho Marae: Indigenous Encounters of a Maori Kind. The International Noho Marae class allows students to experience an unforgettable weekend of learning about Maori culture, traditions and protocol while staying at a traditional Maori meeting house - a marae, followed by tutorials in the AUT Marae throughout the semester.
- Outdoor Education classes: Land Based Pursuits and Water Based Pursuits, both offered during the Fall (July) semester only. These classes allow you to experience the adventure activities of New Zealand within an academic environment.
Courses (called “papers” in New Zealand) are available in the below disciplines. You should also refer to the AUT University subject areas page for a listing of all courses.
For Health classes, study abroad students can take theory classes only.
||Health and Physical Education
||Physical Activity and Nutrition
|Applied Mental Health
||Health Protection and Environmental Health
||Human Resource Management and Employment Relations
|Business Information Systems
||Information Systems Science
|Computer and Mobile Systems Engineering
||IT Service Science
||Sports and Exercise Science
|Early Childhood Teaching
||Textiles for Fashion
||Network and Communication Engineering
||Networks and Security
Special Application Instructions
You must complete the LMU Study Abroad Application as well as The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) Application by the LMU Study Abroad Deadline Date. Visit the host institution site for their application details.
Students attending AUT University typically live at Wellesley Student Apartments (WSA), located a three minute walk from AUT's city campus. WSA is a 13-story apartment complex consisting of fully-furnished 4- or 5-bedroom apartments with 2 bathrooms and a fully-equipped open-plan kitchen/lounge. Apartments are available as single gender, mixed gender and gay friendly. TEAN students live with other international students as well as local students providing a great integrated experience. WSA provides a great social environment with regular events such as trips and dinners, as well as arranging community study groups. Internet is provided.
TEAN places students in furnished self-catered, apartment-style university housing.
Auckland Student Movement
As a student at AUT you are automatically a member of AuSM. AuSM provides on campus events, recreational activities, and clubs and societies.
As an AUT student, you can join the City Fitness Centre on the City Campus for as little at $1 a day.
AUT provides an on campus health services with male and female doctors, and nurses. All AUT students have access to free counseling services.
International Student Support Services (ISSS)
The ISSS provides an orientation for all new international and study abroad students to AUT and provides ongoing support throughout the semester.
PROGRAM TUITION AND FEES
Fall Program Costs (click here)
Spring Program Costs (click here)